: Employer Plans Nationwide
Be aware of "dual-client" relationship when serving EAP members
Our employer clients entrust Magellan - and you, our qualified network providers - with serving the employee assistance program (EAP) needs of their staffs and their families.
In light of recent feedback from EAP clients, it’s important to reiterate that as an EAP provider
you serve both the member and the employer.
It is vital to maintain awareness of this "dual-client" relationship, as well as confidentiality and neutrality, in each EAP case. If a member requests that you share information with their employer in support of disability or job accommodations, contact Magellan first.
Other ways you can help
- Note that due to the "dual-client" relationship, the following types of services are NOT appropriate for EAP cases:
- Fitness-for-duty evaluations
- Excuses for time off, disability or leave of absence
- Recommendations, evaluations, reports for disability, job accommodations or workers compensation
- Evaluations or recommendations to be used in child custody proceedings or legal actions.
- Respond to members within 24 business hours from the time of their phone call to offer an appointment or, if needed, refer the member back to Magellan for a new referral.
- Offer routine sessions within three business days, and urgent and supervisory/mandatory referral sessions within 24 hours.
- Note that Magellan often contacts EAP providers via email to help locate appointments for members. Ensure that you keep your email address and other contact information, as well as your appointment availability, up to date by signing in at MagellanProvider.com and selecting Display/Edit Practice Information.
Thank you for your ongoing commitment and care of Magellan EAP members.